1 contributing object.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places July 17, 1997.
Also known as:
The Confederate Monument in Louisville is a 70-foot-tall monument formerly adjacent to and surrounded by the University of Louisville Belknap Campus in Louisville, Kentucky, United States. Relocation of the monument to Brandenburg, Kentucky, along the town's river front began November 2016, and was completed in mid-December. The granite and bronze structure was erected in 1895 by the Muldoon Monument Company with funds raised by the Kentucky Woman's Confederate Monument Association. The monument commemorates the sacrifice of Confederate veterans who died in the American Civil War.
As with many monuments to the Confederacy, some community activists, such as Louisville's late Reverend Louis Coleman, have called for the removal of the monument from such a prominent location due to a perceived association with the history of civil rights abuses against African-Americans. In the past, both the city and university have opposed such proposals. In 2002, the university announced plans to add civil rights monuments in the vicinity of the monument as part of a redevelopment called "Freedom Park". Two million dollars of funding, principally for the park, was secured in late 2008.
In late April 2016, officials in Louisville announced plans to remove the monument to another location. Subsequently, a Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge signed a temporary restraining order filed by the Kentucky Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans but dissolved the restraining order at a later hearing in May 2016.
On November 15, 2016, the Office of the Mayor in Louisville stated the monument would be dismantled and moved to Brandenburg, Kentucky. This was following input from the Louisville Commission on Public Art which held a public meeting earlier in July and received suggestions.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/97000689