Confederate Soldier Monument in Caldwell (NRIS 97000712)
Jct. of KY 91 and N. Jefferson St.,
KY. County/parish: Caldwell.
1 contributing object.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places
July 17, 1997.
Part of Civil War Monuments of Kentucky MPS
Also known as:
- Confederate Soldier Monument in Caldwell
- The Confederate Soldier Monument in Caldwell is a historic statue located on the Caldwell County Courthouse lawn in the county seat of Princeton, Kentucky, United States. It was erected in 1912 by the Tom Johnson Chapter No. 886 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.The entire 15-foot-tall (4.6 m) monument is made of granite; mostly gray granite, but with some white granite. The southward-facing statue has been said to be "defiant", with its back to the North, its defiant gaze, and its proud mustache.The statue's inscription reads "C.S.A. In Memory of Confederate Soldiers and the Cause for Which They Fought 1861-1865. Erected by Tom Johnson Chapter UDC". A Confederate battle flag is engraved on the left side of the statue's base.
It was dedicated to a large crowd including surviving local Confederate veterans of Jim Pearce Camp No. 527, United Confederate Veterans, on November 12, 1912. Many businesses in Princeton closed for the ceremony.
On July 17, 1997, the Confederate Soldier Monument of Caldwell County was one of sixty-one different monuments related to the Civil War in Kentucky placed on the National Register of Historic Places, as part of the Civil War Monuments of Kentucky Multiple Property Submission. (read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/97000712