Green Mill Ford Bridge

Address: County road over Cedar R., Janesville, Iowa. County/parish: Bremer.

NRIS 98000760

Removed from the National Register of Historic Places September 19, 2019.

Part of Highway Bridges of Iowa MPS (NRIS 64500160).

Also known as:

  • Green Mill Road over Cedar River

From Wikipedia:

Garretson Outlet Bridge

The Garretson Outlet Bridge is a historic structure located north of Whiting, Iowa, United States. It carries 100th Street, a gravel road, over Garretson Outlet Ditch for 168 feet (51 m). The Iowa Bridge Company of Des Moines held the bridge contract for Monona County when this bridge was built. They fabricated and erected the Warren pony truss with polygonal upper chords in 1913. Around the same time they had constructed other several small- and medium-scale bridges over a system of channelized streams and drainage ditches that had recently been completed across the county. This bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

(read more...)
Green Mill Ford Bridge

The Green Mill Ford Bridge was a historic structure located northeast of Janesville, Iowa, United States. It spanned the Cedar River for 244 feet (74 m). This Bowstring through arch-truss bridge was originally erected in Waverly, Iowa after the Bremer County Board of Supervisors found the previous timber structure bridge was worn out. It was designed and erected by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Co. of Cleveland. John R. Price and Brothers built the substructure. The total cost for constructing the bridge was $16,000. It remained in service at this location until 1898 when it was replaced by a girder bridge. The bow string trusses were dismantled three years later. One of the spans was erected over the Cedar River in Franklin Township, while the remaining two spans were erected here in Jefferson Township. The Green Mill Ford Bridge was closed to traffic in 1988. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1998.

The bridge was carried downstream by the Cedar River on March 16, 2019 in a flood with heavy ice flow. It was removed from the NRHP in September of the same year.

(read more...)

Architects:

  • King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Co.

Architectural styles:

  • Other

National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/98000760

LC