Removed from the National Register of Historic Places May 03, 2016.
The Wanakena Footbridge was a pedestrian suspension bridge located at Wanakena in St. Lawrence County, New York. It was constructed in 1902 and spanned the Oswegatchie River. It was originally constructed to provide a crossing for the employees of the Rich Lumber Company to reach the no longer extant mills.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. In 2014 it was destroyed by ice on the river; two years later it was removed from the Register. In July 2016 a new bridge was dedicated and opened after fund raising by the Wanakena Historical Association and others.(read more...)
National Park Service documentation: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/99001001